Thursday, March 19, 2009

What is the Point?

What is the point of life?  The famous question asked by great philosophers, biblical prophets, school counselors, and even young lost teenagers.  I wonder how often this unanswered question pushes so many into a life void of any feeling because we can only feel numb after so long.  I know it seems too deep and silly to address such an ambiguous question that has many different answers depending on the person asking the question.  But I feel it is more relevant than ever in the age of 24 Hr news cycles, prescription drugs taken for the soul purpose of fixing your mood, record suicide rates, and endless arguing that lead to war among the masses.  
In the book, 'Fight Club', the main character rides in a car in a storm where the driver lets go of the wheel and asks, 'What will you wish you had done before you died?'  After several answers and several misses from oncoming traffic the driver says, 'Believe in me and you shall die forever.'  I think the line and scenario in the book has very poignant meaning behind it.  I think too much of life is spent is trying to avoid possibilities.  The possibilities, the risks if taken that could possibly lead to a more fulfilling and content life, but fear of failure or inadequacy stop us.  Do the things you only day dream about or too worried about societal judging because of the possible absurdity behind your wants.  We handicap ourselves way too much and let fears of the unknown run our ambitions until one day we wake up and can't remember what makes us happy.  
I'm guilty just as bad as anyone.  I let fear of the wrong decision dictate my next move until I can't make a decision.  I sit idly by on the sidelines afraid to make a move.  I go to bed 17 years old and wake up 30 and can't point to any wonderful moments in my life.  To die forever in the Fight Club sense I think means to live as if you had nothing to lose.  Take chances and risks for the things you care about or make you vital to the world.  Yes there will be failures and hurts and heartaches, but endurance through those things builds character.  Besides I think the answer to the meaning life may lie in a lifetime of failures.

2 comments:

  1. Well hopefully you don't fail too many times or your won't ever get to enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete